Saturday, November 28, 2009

Q&A with island singer, songwriter Danny Morgan


Danny Morgan doing what he loves best - singing to his fans.

Danny Morgan is like the island version of the Pied Piper. He seems to draw crowds with his gift of song where ever he plays.

Where did you grow up?

Kentucky is where I started growing up but to be honest I haven't completed the process yet.

What brought you to Sanibel?

A great friend from Cinti was playing at South Seas Plantation went to NYC to make a record for Atlantic, he called me to come fill in and he didn't come back all season so that started my love affair with the islands.

What were you doing before coming to Sanibel?

Playing music around the USA

What do you
appreciate most about living on Sanibel?

Walking the beach, the weather and the great community of interesting people.

Word on the island is that you are a singer. What kind of music do you play?

Wide variety from current pop to the "Great American Songbook" standards.

Our band plays all styles but the island style is the most popular. Many songs I have written are about island life, we play many of those.

What's your favorite style of music?

I love all music, but rap and hip hop don't come up on my radar much.

Do you have a favorite song?

Different songs for different moods. When I am painting paintings I love to listen to gypsy jazz (Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelly. Livingston Taylor has some great new songs, love Michel Legrand songs.

How long have you been a performer?

I had my first band making money at 10-years-old and it seems like I have been playing for 100 years.

What other musicians have you performed with?

I have had the pleasure of working with hundreds of musicians some famous some not, among the not so famous my current band is fantastic, and a few of the famous include the Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, Barry Manilow, Joe Cocker, Bo Didley and Livingston Taylor.

What inspires you most about being a singer?

The journey to be better, it is never ending.

Can you describe your fans?

Fantastic! Fun, an interesting mix of ages and walks of life.

Where can people see you perform?

Traders, Captiva Cruises and Casa Ybel poolside, the rest is private parties and weddings.

What do you do for fun when you are not performing?

Painter by education and I love to paint. Being outside doing anything.

What is your family life like?

I am married to Amy and have two barking dogs and a crazy cat, but other than that pretty quiet.
What are your long/short-term goals?

Short term a new CD mixing my Kentucky roots with my current island perspective. New paintings. Long term - always striving to be a better person to other people.

What is one thing about yourself that people would be

surprised to learn about you?

That I majored in Fine Art and not music

You seem to be relaxed and happy with life. What is your secret to happiness?

Happy wife, happy life. Great long friendships. I love my work and
feel totally blessed to live and work on these incredible islands.
By ELLA NAYOR, enayor@breezenewspapers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment