July marks the opening of the 24th Annual “Ding” Darling Days Amateur Nature Photography Contest.
The contest, sponsored by the “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society-Friends of the Refuge (DDWS) and held in conjunction with “Ding” Darling Days, Oct. 16-22, 2011, honors the birthday of Jay Norwood “Ding” Darling, one of the foremost conservationists in American history and the driving force behind the eponymous J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge.
Deadline for submission is 4 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 15. Complete contest rules are listed below.
For an entry form and other contest information, log on towww.dingdarlingsociety.org and click on “Photo Contest.” Or contact DDWS at email@example.com or 239-472-1100, ext. 233.
Winners will be announced and awarded prizes at Conservation Art Day on Saturday, Oct. 22, part of “Ding” Darling Days.
Entries may be delivered in person to J.N. “Ding” Darling NWR or by mail to “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society, One Wildlife Drive, Sanibel, FL 33957 (ATTN: Gary Ogden).
• There is a $25 per person entry fee that provides you with a membership to the Society and is used to defray the cost of the contest.
• Only AMATEUR (all ages) photographers are eligible to enter. (May not possess a professional photographer tax identification number for the sale of photographs).
• Photos must be taken at J.N. “Ding” Darling NWR and have been taken within two years of entry date.
• Photos must be 8” x 10” (or full frame 8” x 12”) with an 11” x 14” mat. This will facilitate display in the Visitor Center. (Please – no hangers on the backs of photographs.) Frames are not permitted. Please include one 4X6 copy of entry.
• Each person may enter up to two photos but is eligible to win only one award.CHELLE KOSTER WALTON